Reporting to the Vice President of Strategic Communications and Engagement, the Director of Engagement is responsible for leading and executing a comprehensive engagement strategy to align with Interlochen’s institutional goals specifically related to supporting student recruitment, strengthening brand awareness and affinity, and cultivating meaningful relationships with stakeholders. As a part of this work, the Director of Engagement will serve as a key partner and valued resource to campus colleagues in Advancement, Education, Admissions, and other departments to leverage stakeholder involvement in enrollment, branding, and engagement efforts. As Interlochen approaches its centennial anniversary in 2028, this leader has a remarkable opportunity to build on the strength of the existing engagement program to develop a truly integrated and inspired stakeholder network. This position oversees the Engagement staff as well as a seasonal internship program. Interlochen is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications from women, racial/ethnic minorities and other individuals from underrepresented groups. Key responsibilities:
- Lead ideation of an evolved strategic engagement plan that evaluates current objectives and tactics, strengthens existing efforts, and identifies new opportunities to increase institutional visibility and outreach.
- Collaborate internally to help shape, produce, and evaluate an engagement communications strategy for internal and external constituents that ties directly to engagement outcomes. Partner closely with the marketing team on the development, segmentation, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the institution’s presence on a variety of media platforms as it relates to engaging a diverse array of stakeholders. Look for opportunities to assist in content development to augment Interlochen’s brand story.
- Foster lifelong engagement opportunities that strengthen the constituent networks and drive strategic volunteerism. Ensure continuity, diversity, and capability in the volunteer pipeline and identify alumni, parents, and friends who have demonstrated an interest in supporting and promoting Interlochen, especially those who are prominent in their fields and who may be willing to serve on panels, committees, boards, or in other capacities that build awareness and enhance the student experience. Explore technological platforms and resources that can assist in strengthening connectivity and provide value for Interlochen stakeholders.
- Create and oversee an ongoing program of engagement research and evaluation. Identify the points of evaluation, metrics, and analyses for the assessment and management of all engagement programs. Develop appropriate formats for reporting on performance for use in management decision-making and utilize research to develop and adjust programs. Develop an annual work plan to meet measurable goals for engagement activities and events.
- Provide strategic direction, brand consistency, and oversight for on- and off-campus stakeholder events oriented toward building Interlochen awareness, deepening affinity, and cultivating stakeholders. Involve stakeholders in the development of opportunities that engage existing audiences and reach new ones. Work with campus partners to oversee a cross functional events team that standardizes event data and constituent tracking.
- Manage Ambassador markets and grow lead team in the cultivation and training of Ambassadors: oversee regional goal setting, the distribution of marketing assets, and program evaluation.
Serve as an external representative
of Interlochen locally, regionally, and beyond to drive community engagement efforts and seek areas of opportunity that elevate the student experience and raise Interlochen’s visibility.
Collaborate and build cross-functional project teams to effectively harness strategic partnership opportunities
. Leverage stakeholder relationships, support opportunity scholarships, and develop connections to feeder schools in order to maximize the reach and visibility of Interlochen with prospective students. Preferred qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with 7+ years of relevant experience in alumni relations programs and/or comparable engagement programs recognized for their strength and effectiveness, or similar experience in education, non-profit management or a field or industry that emphasizes relationship building, stewardship, and overseeing communications, volunteers, and programming.
- Demonstrable success in developing alumni relations, constituent engagement, or admissions programs, an in-depth understanding of advancement, admissions, and development programs, and the ability to integrate alumni relations or engagement programs with development and admissions priorities and initiatives.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, and to use data to transform new ideas into executable and successful programs.
- Be conversant with relevant technologies and how they can be used in support of communicating, engaging stakeholders and volunteers in activities and programming, and managing and measuring results.
- Possess a supportive and accessible management style, the ability to lead and motivate staff and to encourage change and growth in both people and programs, with a strong commitment to personal and professional development. Have experience working with volunteers, the ability to manage complex relationships, and proven collaboration and teamwork skills. The capacity to work cross-functionally and partner with colleagues from other departments is vital.
- Possess a high degree of personal integrity and a commitment to Interlochen’s values and the importance of the arts.
- Ability to effectively represent Interlochen to alumni, parents, current and prospective students, faculty, and staff, and be willing to travel to maintain a high level of visibility and to participate regularly in events.
A Complete Application includes a 1) Completed Application; 2) Cover Letter; and a 3) Curriculum Vita/Resume with a list of three professional references. All components of this application should be uploaded as one document and submitted through the Interlochen Career site. Please upload your documents in a pdf format.
Review of materials will commence immediately and continue until the position has been filled. Materials submitted will be held in strictest confidence, and references will not be contacted without the permission of the applicant.
The next step of the application process will ask you a series of questions, some are required by the EEOC concerning Protected Veteran Status and Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability. For more information please view the following hyperlinks.
EEOC Voluntary Self-Identification of Protected Veteran Status
Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability
If interested in applying please submit an application by clicking the "Apply Now" button at the bottom of the page.
More information about Interlochen Center for the Arts:
Interlochen Center for the Arts is the recipient of the National Medal of Arts and the only organization in the world that brings together: a 2,500-student summer camp program; a 500-student fine arts boarding high school; opportunities for hundreds of adults to engage in fulfilling artistic and creative programs; two 24-hour listener-supported public radio stations (classical music and news); more than 600 arts presentations annually by students, faculty and world-renowned guest artists; a global alumni base spanning eight decades, including leaders in arts and all other endeavors. For information, visit Interlochen online at www.interlochen.org.
Interlochen Center for the Arts MISSION…
To engage and inspire people worldwide through excellence in educational, artistic and cultural programs, enhancing the quality of life through the universal language of the arts.
THE CORE PURPOSE…
To ignite lifelong passion for the arts
THE CORE VALUES…
Nurturing, Inspiring,Transforming, Enlightening and Enduring
Interlochen Center for the Arts includes:
Interlochen Arts Academy
Interlochen Arts Academy, a fine arts boarding high school, offers the highest quality artistic training combined with comprehensive college-preparatory academics. The Academy also offers post-graduate opportunities.
Interlochen Arts Camp
Young artists from around the world gather at Interlochen each summer to learn, create and perform alongside leading artists and instructors. Programs are offered to students in grades three through twelve.
Interlochen College of Creative Arts
Adult artists thrive on opportunities to learn and express themselves creatively. The College of Creative Arts offers programs in a variety of arts disciplines.
Interlochen Public Radio
Classical Music: 88.7 FM, Interlochen; 88.5 FM, Mackinaw City; 94.7 FM, Traverse City and 100.9 FM, East Jordan/Charlevoix
News Radio: 91.5 FM, Traverse City; 90.1 FM, Harbor Springs/Petoskey; 89.7 FM, Manistee/Ludington
Streaming online at ipr.interlochen.org. Through two listener-supported broadcast services, Interlochen Public Radio (IPR) connects northwest Michigan with arts, news and culture on a global scale. IPR also gives significant focus to local and regional news, information and artists.
Interlochen brings dozens of world-renowned artists to northwest Michigan, enhancing the region’s position on the global arts map. Interlochen presents more than 600 events each year by students, faculty and guest artists, making Interlochen one of the nation’s largest arts presenters.