Interlochen Center for the Arts is looking to hire a Visual Arts Instructors for the 2019 camp season. The dates of the contract are 6/21/19-8/4/19 and the stipend for the entire duration of the contract is $2,850. The position provides summer instruction to students age 8-18 at both the exploratory and advanced levels. Responsibilities will include but not be limited to: a minimum of 5 hours of studio instruction per day will be required in assigned area(s), coordination of studio set-up at the beginning of camp and tear down at the end, inventory and order of supplies, monitoring of open studio hours, supervising studio classrooms and participation in the program's extra-curricular activities. Instructors will also assist with the department's public and community programs including Visual Arts Hour and Collage.
Positions are available in the following areas:
- Sculpture - work with students ages 13-18 in sculpture. Preference will be for candidates who hold an MFA degree and experience teaching welding, casting and carving with materials such as wood, plaster, metal, stone and wax.
- Drawing and Painting - work with students ages 8-12 or 13-18 in drawing and painting. Preference will be for candidates who hold an MFA degree and experience teaching the fundamentals of drawing and painting as well as more advanced and experimental approaches.
- Fiber Arts/ Experimental Fashion - work with students ages 13-18 in fiber arts and experimental fashion. Preference will be for candidates who hold an MFA degree and experience teaching soft construction techniques and surface design. Experience with Book Arts preferred but not required.
- Photography - work with students ages 13-18 in black and white darkroom photography. Preference will be for candidates who hold an MFA degree and experience teaching darkroom operations, 35mm, medium and large format photography.
- Digital Arts/Graphic Design - work with students ages 13-18 in digital arts and graphic design. Preference will be for candidates who hold an MFA degree and experience teaching both graphic design and digital arts. Experience with digital photography is preferred. Candidate must have experience with Mac computers running the most up to date software such as Adobe CS6, and with the operation of Epson wide-format photo printer.
- Printmaking - work with students ages 13-18 in printmaking. Preference will be for candidates who hold an MFA degree and experience teaching intaglio, etching, wood cut, and stone lithography. Metals- work with students ages 13-18 in ceramics. Preference will be for candidates who hold an MFA degree and have experience in metals.
- Ceramics - work with students ages 8-12 or 13-18 in ceramics. Preference will be for candidates who hold an MFA degree in Ceramics and have experience in teaching wheel throwing and hand-building. Experience with gas, electric, raku, soda and salt firing is preferred.
- Book Arts - work with students ages 13-18 in book arts. Preference will be for candidates who hold an MFA degree and have experience with a variety of book arts techniques. Experience with Fiber Arts or Drawing and Painting preferred but not required. Qualifications Candidates must have or be working on their MFA, MA or have equal experience. This position will require artwork to be submitted of up to 10 images of personal work and 10 images of student work, please provide a link or upload with your application in PDF format.
The Camp enrolls nearly 2500 students, of which 8% are international, and over 25% are racial/ethnic minorities.
Interlochen is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty/staff population and strongly encourages applications from women, racial/ethnic minorities and other individuals from underrepresented groups.
Housing and Meals:
Choice of on-campus or off-campus housing is included with a $10.00/night stipend is included in your agreement. On-campus housing is subject to availability.ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Application Process:If interested in applying please submit an application by clicking the "Apply Now" button at the bottom of the page. Required documents for application are: work samples, cover letter/letter of interest, resume, work samples and a current listing of three references.
Required documents for application are: cover letter/letter of interest, resume, and a current listing of three references. You can additionally upload this information during the submission of the application process by selecting "Apply and continue to upload documents" button. Please upload all of your information in ONE DOCUMENT in a pdf format.
Review of materials will commence immediately and continue until the position has been filled. Materials submitted will be held in strictest confidence, and references will not be contacted without the permission of the applicant.The next step of the application process will ask you a series of questions, some are required by the EEOC concerning Protected Veteran Status and Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability. For more information please view the following hyperlinks. EEOC Voluntary Self-Identification of Protected Veteran StatusVoluntary Self-Identification of DisabilityIf interested in applying please submit an application by clicking the "Apply Now" button at the bottom of the page. More information about Interlochen Center for the Arts:
Interlochen Center for the Arts is the recipient of the National Medal of Arts and the only organization in the world that brings together: a 2,500-student summer camp program; a 500-student fine arts boarding high school; opportunities for hundreds of adults to engage in fulfilling artistic and creative programs; two 24-hour listener-supported public radio stations (classical music and news); more than 600 arts presentations annually by students, faculty and world-renowned guest artists; a global alumni base spanning eight decades, including leaders in arts and all other endeavors. For information, visit Interlochen online at www.interlochen.org.
Interlochen Center for the Arts MISSION…
To engage and inspire people worldwide through excellence in educational, artistic and cultural programs, enhancing the quality of life through the universal language of the arts.
THE CORE PURPOSE…
To ignite lifelong passion for the arts
THE CORE VALUES…
Nurturing, Inspiring,Transforming, Enlightening and EnduringInterlochen Center for the Arts includes:Interlochen Arts Academy
Interlochen Arts Academy, a fine arts boarding high school, offers the highest quality artistic training combined with comprehensive college-preparatory academics. The Academy also offers post-graduate opportunities.Interlochen Arts Camp
Young artists from around the world gather at Interlochen each summer to learn, create and perform alongside leading artists and instructors. Programs are offered to students in grades three through twelve.Interlochen College of Creative Arts
Adult artists thrive on opportunities to learn and express themselves creatively. The College of Creative Arts offers programs in a variety of arts disciplines.Interlochen Public Radio
Classical Music: 88.7 FM, Interlochen; 88.5 FM, Mackinaw City; 94.7 FM, Traverse City and 100.9 FM, East Jordan/Charlevoix
News Radio: 91.5 FM, Traverse City; 90.1 FM, Harbor Springs/Petoskey; 89.7 FM, Manistee/Ludington
Streaming online at ipr.interlochen.org. Through two listener-supported broadcast services, Interlochen Public Radio (IPR) connects northwest Michigan with arts, news and culture on a global scale. IPR also gives significant focus to local and regional news, information and artists.Interlochen Presents
Interlochen brings dozens of world-renowned artists to northwest Michigan, enhancing the region’s position on the global arts map. Interlochen presents more than 600 events each year by students, faculty and guest artists, making Interlochen one of the nation’s largest arts presenters.