Interlochen Center for the Arts seeks energetic, dedicated and creative individuals with a desire to supervise and mentor high school students. Interlochen Arts Academy, the nation’s premier fine arts boarding high school, has openings available for the position of Residence Hall Manager, individuals who will serve as part of a team of student life professionals. The Residence Hall Manager is a 12-month position that is responsible for supporting a healthy community of students and staff in one or more residence halls. Hall Managers are also responsible for training and supervising a team of professional residence life staff; advising and mediating student concerns; enforcing policy; creating safe communities; advising student groups; and contributing input for strategic change in the residence life department.
Interlochen is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications from women, racial/ethnic minorities and other individuals from underrepresented groups. Major job responsibilities include:
- Provide supervision and leadership for residence life staff, coaching young professionals to provide quality student supports.
- Provide care and a variety of support services to students in a residential setting and assist with the oversight of the residential education program.
- Participate in a rotation as a manager on-call, providing support for residence life and other campus departments.
- Facilitate the development of communities that are welcoming and accepting of people of all races and ethnicities, abilities, ages, genders, national origins, religions, and sexual orientations.
- Contribute to the growth of the residence life program by actively engaging in strategic visioning and problem solving.
- Support leadership development for students in a variety of areas including academics, student groups, student representative board, programming and international student liaisons, and health and wellness.
- Build relationships with a variety of campus partners in an effort to strengthen student support.
- Maintain detailed administrative records related to the care of students and supervision of staff.
- Guide staffs' ability to assess and mediate student conflict and sufficiently listen to and summarize individual and group concerns.
- Communicate with families and other stakeholders to support student success.
- Interpret, enforce, and review policies and procedures that relate to student conduct concerns.
- Ensure the safety of residence hall buildings, both in safety practices and in ensuring the safety and maintenance of facilities.
- As as an active, live-in member of a diverse campus community, actively engage in programming and conversations about diversity and social justice and confront situations of bias as necessary.
Due to the nature of the work, and the combined work/living environment, this position must have a commitment to self-care including getting adequate sleep, physical exercise, nutrition, and the ability to seek assistance from others when facing difficulty.Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Masters Degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Ability to maintain a valid driver’s license and be insured to drive ICA vehicles is required.
- Experience in leadership and supervision.
- Experience in mentoring and guiding young people.