The Interlochen Arts Academy Dance Program seeks a dedicated full time Instructor of Contemporary Dance. The program seeks a high energy, positive and enthusiastic candidate who possesses professional dance experience in a nationally and / or internationally recognized and renowned contemporary or modern dance company as the program strengthens its focus on a solid approach to contemporary dance technique, complementing the program’s overall emphasis on an overall classical ballet foundation and appreciation.
The candidate must have an equal respect and appreciation for the program’s emphasis on classicism and how the contemporary techniques can be fused into ballet technique. The candidate should also have teaching experience with students in pre-professional academic settings (university and / or high school) along with a comfortability and familiarity working with students coming from a variety of different dance backgrounds, levels and skill-sets. A certification or recognized extensive experience in a certain style of contemporary / modern dance (i.e. Cunningham, Graham, Horton, Limon, etc.) is preferred, with the candidate having the flexibility to use this technique as a springboard to further develop their own teaching methodologies and concepts specifically for the students at IAA.
The Instructor of Contemporary Dance may also be a choreographer with opportunities to showcase their work on the students, however the primary focus and emphasis of this position is on contemporary dance instruction and mentorship for the students; coaching for repertoire in performances from visiting choreographers and / or stagers; coaching solos for college / summer program auditions; along with advisorship toward career and higher education goals. Ideally, the instructor may have a background and / or skill set in other areas of dance or dance related idioms such as contact Improvisation, choreographic composition, Pilates, jazz, hip-hop, yoga, anatomy, dance pedagogy, etc. that can be used as methods of instruction to both dance majors and non-majors.
Interlochen is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications from women, racial/ethnic minorities and other individuals from underrepresented groups. Responsibilities
Knowledge and Experience
- Instruct contemporary dance technique classes to IAA dance majors on a daily to near daily basis with a variety of levels based on aptitude, skill-set and age. Each class should demonstrate a progression in technique and intensity for the different classes;
- Instruct General Dance Classes for Academy students majoring in other artistic fields who wish to explore dance in a more recreational yet stimulating way;
- Serve as a coach for various new works of guest choreographers in their absence; staple pieces or repertoire staged both “in house” and from guest repetiteurs - mainly with contemporary dance but this could extend to large scale full length classical ballets as well;
- Mentor students as they search for colleges, universities and summer programs with a more contemporary dance focus along with assisting students in preparing video auditions, college dance audition contemporary solos; complete reference letters as requested;
- Serve as the overseer and advisor for the students annual choreographic workshop; managing students’ music choices, choreographic approaches; helping to guide students lead amongst their peers; working with the students and Interlochen production team on lighting, etc.;
- Serve as a liaison between student and parents; handle questions or concerns from parents about students and their progress in contemporary dance classes, or rehearsals as a whole;
- Instruct other classes or coach rehearsals as needed and designated for the overall artistic needs of the program
- Recognized professional experience in a major national and / or internationally renowned contemporary dance company;
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required; Master’s preferred; Non-degree candidates with extensive experience will also be considered
- Teaching experience at the high school and / or higher educational institution required
ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONIf interested in applying please submit an application by clicking the "Apply Now" button at the bottom of the page. A Complete Application Includes:
- Commensurate with experience
1) Letter of Intent;
2) Curriculum Vita/Resume – A vita that outlines the applicants professional and teaching experience
3) Statement of Teaching Philosophy – A teaching philosophy statement should clearly articulate your current teaching methods and how your pedagogy might introduces new and innovative teaching methods to students at Interlochen.
4) A List of Three References- Please include at least three professional references who can speak to your experience and ability to succeed in this position.
5) Publicity– Clippings of dance career and / or teaching careerPlease note:
Do not submit a choreographic or teaching reel unless further requested. All components of this application should be uploaded as a PDF document and submitted as one file. Review of materials will commence immediately and continue until the position has been filled. Materials submitted will be held in strictest confidence, and references will not be contacted without the permission of the applicant.The next step of the application process will ask you a series of questions, some are required by the EEOC concerning Protected Veteran Status and Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability. For more information please view the following hyperlinks. EEOC Voluntary Self-Identification of Protected Veteran StatusVoluntary Self-Identification of Disability
If interested in applying please submit an application by clicking the "Apply Now" button at the bottom of the page. More information about Interlochen Center for the Arts:
Interlochen Center for the Arts MISSION
To engage and inspire people worldwide through excellence in educational, artistic and cultural programs, enhancing the quality of life through the universal language of the arts.
THE CORE PURPOSE
To ignite lifelong passion for the arts
THE CORE VALUES
Nurturing, Inspiring,Transforming, Enlightening and Enduring
Interlochen Center for the Arts includes:Interlochen Arts Academy
Interlochen Arts Academy, a fine arts boarding high school, offers the highest quality artistic training combined with comprehensive college-preparatory academics. The Academy also offers post-graduate opportunities.Interlochen Arts Camp
Young artists from around the world gather at Interlochen each summer to learn, create and perform alongside leading artists and instructors. Programs are offered to students in grades three through twelve.Interlochen College of Creative Arts
Adult artists thrive on opportunities to learn and express themselves creatively. The College of Creative Arts offers programs in a variety of arts disciplines.Interlochen Public Radio
Classical Music: 88.7 FM, Interlochen; 88.5 FM, Mackinaw City; 94.7 FM, Traverse City and 100.9 FM, East Jordan/Charlevoix
News Radio: 91.5 FM, Traverse City; 90.1 FM, Harbor Springs/Petoskey; 89.7 FM, Manistee/Ludington. Streaming online at ipr.interlochen.org. Through two listener-supported broadcast services, Interlochen Public Radio (IPR) connects northwest Michigan with arts, news and culture on a global scale. IPR also gives significant focus to local and regional news, information and artists.Interlochen Presents
Interlochen brings dozens of world-renowned artists to northwest Michigan, enhancing the regions position on the global arts map. Interlochen presents more than 600 events each year by students, faculty and guest artists, making Interlochen one of the nations largest arts presenters.